Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My Reading Life by Pat Conroy


Pat Conroy's love affair with books began with his mom's love for literature. A high school English teacher also had a profound influence on him in his early years. In this book, Pat Conroy shares his lifelong love affair with reading. He shares with his readers some of the books that influenced his life, some of the people that called attention to books, and to his encounters with others in the book business -- fellow authors and persons more involved in the publishing aspect. Anyone who aspires to be a writer needs to read this book. Persons studying Conroy's works will find a greater appreciation of them by knowing something of Conroy's life and the extent to which he employed his own life in his work. I've missed reading a few of the classics mentioned by the author as being influential in his own life, and his praise for them makes me want to read these. I've already downloaded a free copy of one of these works to my Kindle application. This is, perhaps, the highest form of praise that I can demonstrate. 4.5 stars.

This book can be found in our lease books.

Labels: ,